Burlington High School's spring musical, Kiss Me, Kate, is ready to open tonight! This Broadway musical by legendary American composer Cole Porter is filled with raucous comedy and BHS' production will have you rolling in the aisles with its slapstick version of the show.
Here are a few fun and interesting facts that might pique your interest:
- There are 94 students in the cast of Kiss Me, Kate
- There are 20 crew members who move sets, place props, open and close curtains and fly blackdrops.
- There are 18 wireless microphones that are in constant use.
- 12 professional orchestra members are in the pit.
- This is the 47th musical performed on the stage at Fogelberg Auditorium.
- The first BHS musical was performed in 1963.
- Kiss Me Kate made its Broadway debut on December 30, 1948 and ran for a total of 1,047 shows at both the New Century Theatre and the Schubert.
- There was a Broadway revival in 1998 with a total of 881 performances.
- The original production received 5 Tony Awards in 1949.
- The revival won 5 Tony Awards and 5 Drama Desk Awards.
- The London revival of Kiss Me, Kate won 8 Laurence Olivier awards in 2002
Kiss Me, Kate will be performed March 23, 24, 30 and 31 at 7:30 pm and on April 1 at 2:00 pm.
Tickets are still available for this fantastic show. You can purchase them online by visiting www.BurlingtonTickets.org or by phone at 781-238-6842.