Senior David Murray was crowned BHS Poet Laureate for the second consecutive year during today's finals which were streamed live on the internet. David will move on to represent BHS in the Poetry Out Loud regional competition in Framingham in March.
This is one of the true highlights of the year at BHS because every student in the school participates. Each student has to recite a poem in his or her English class and from their a class winner is chosen. Each class sends a winner to the semifinals and from there the nine finalists were chosen. As Ms. Ford noted at the end of the ceremony today, the finalists represent the top one-percent of BHS Poetry Out Loud performers.
Special thanks to our judges:
- Chris Rogers - A virtual judge from Morrisville Eaton Central School in Morrisville, New York
- Michael Sawyer - A retired Client Services Manager for a Fortune 500 company and dad of Ms. Ford
- Meg Wieder - Education Department Manager for the Huntington Theatre Company
- Millie Nash - Retired Burlington High School and Marshall Simonds Middle School English teacher
- Susan Kelley DiSanto - BHS Library/Media Specialist
Also special thanks to the entire BHS English Dept. for making this happen!
Please check out clips from each of our performers below.
Two-time BHS Poet Laureate David Murray performing "Litany" by Billy Collins
Melanie Canales performing "Dona Josefina Counsels Dona Concepcion Before Entering Sears"by Maurice Kilwein Guevara